Tuesday, 2 June 2015

Fernwood - Day 2 & 3

Day 2, Sunday. We never buy the newspaper in paper format except when at the berg. We spend the day lazing around, scanning the Sunday Times, eating, napping and generally enjoying the feeling of not having to do anything we don't want to. All in all a lovely day until I decided to watch the soccer and got treated to Liverpool's humiliating 6-1 defeat by Stoke. You can't have it all, I suppose.

Day 3, Monday. We decided to get a fairly long walk in today so chose the Hlatikulu walk (7,5 km). After crossing the Mpofane river there is quite a steep climb into the forest where we were treated to almost sighting a Porcupine - it was so close we could smell it (OK, there was a funny smell that neither of us owned up to) and also found a few quills. 


I didn't realize how destructive they are until I saw the debris left along the path. I suppose they deserve to be allowed to graze as they have for ages before we came upon the scene. Talking about destroying the environment, why do hikers insist on littering? Rose had the idea that every guest be asked to give a mouth swab when they sign in and then if snotty/crappy tissues are found they can be linked to the guilty party so they can be fined - worth considering. Personally I think we should try to keep this pristine.


No comments:

Post a Comment